Notes from Emacs Asia-Pacific (APAC) virtual meetup, July 2021
These are the notes from Emacs Asia-Pacific (APAC) meetup happened on July 24, 2021.
- Managing music queue with Emacs
- Python code to Toot/Tweet and post on LinkedIn.
- [shrini] http://github.com/tshrinivasan/twoot
- A demo of above script, using mastodon.el to compose the post. And using
M-|to send the region to Python code.
- [shrini] how to count the total characters from a buffer?
M-=shows character count.
- [meain] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WordCount
- Intro to emacs editor and orgmode - in Tamil
- Emacs Client related issue and discussion
- [Yuchen] getting error:
Cannot save customizations; init file was not fully loaded
- [bhavin192] I start the server as part of
(server-start), and keep the Emacs instance running.
- [Yuchen] benefits of running Emacs Client: it is fast, keeps the buffers open.
- [bhavin192] I use emacsclient as my EDITOR.
- [meain] helpful to set as popups for my email, terminal etc. I have set few OS level keybindings which popup Emacs frames using emacsclient.
- [Yuchen] getting error:
- Tables as variables in Org mode source blocks
- [Sean O’Byrne] the language I’m trying to use has support for running code from source blocks, but does not seem to support tables as variables.
- [bhavin192] https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/src/c9dfed48a607c7f6524f1c6480f09cf61a5d6237/lisp/ob-gnuplot.el#L79-L113
- Ledger source block related question
- [Yuchen] I want to put the error from Ledger block to the results instead of showing a popup.
- Using shell inside Emacs on Windows
- [vijay more] which shell to use, and how to use tools like grep, find etc.
- [Sean O’Byrne] eshell can be used in this case.
- [bhavin192] multiple shells can be run with
C-u M-x shell.
- [bhavin192/Sean O’Byrne] usually more setup is required to run Emacs correctly on Windows.
- [Sean O’Byrne] in eshell you can have alias for Emacs commands like
alias d 'dired $1'.
- [shrini] Emacs shell is the only terminal which can show Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam etc as of now.
- [bhavin192] Fedora has a package emacs-terminal, https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/emacs/blob/2c49d5d/f/emacs.spec#_164-174
- How do you learn Emacs step by step?
- [vijay more] the documentation has too many things.
- [Sean O’Byrne]
C-h *can be used to get more help.
- [bhavin192] use which-key package. https://github.com/justbur/emacs-which-key
- [yantar92] try helm-info for searching.
- [Yuchen] icomplete + fido are good for discovering new commands.
- [bhavin192] refer to the logs from here: https://geeksocket.in/posts/entering-church-emacs/#references
Credits: bhavin192, meain, Sean O’Byrne, shrini, yantar92, vijay more, Yuchen.